Monday, October 8, 2007

Power of the Positive

In our martial arts training lives, whether we study aikido, karate, kendo, or some other martial art, we must learn to use the power of the positive. This means that whenever there is a choice about how to act at the Japanese Martial Arts Center, we should choose the positive action: when teaching, when preparing to demonstrate or compete, and when communicating with others in the dojo.

Teaching: Studies of neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) have shown that the subconscious mind absorbs information however it is presented. Thus, if a teacher says "don't do it this way," the student may remember the error better than the correct method. However, if a teacher says "do it this way," and demonstrates the correct method, chances are good that the student will remember the proper way to do the technique, whether the technique is found in jujutsu (jujitsu), judo, or iaido.

This doesn't mean that a teacher should never point out student errors. It does suggest, however, that advice should be presented in positive terms whenever possible. This approach will help to maximize the student's exposure to correct examples, and make the whole experience of learning martial arts more enjoyable.

Preparing for Demonstrations or Tournaments: Adrenaline is one of the biggest obstacles to success in demonstrations, tournaments, or tests. Overcome by nerves, many of us begin to focus more on what not to do than on what we should do. Once the mind starts repeating "don't screw up, don't screw up," the most prominent mental image we end up with is one of screwing up.

A better approach is to mentally rehearse the performance, visualizing ourselves executing each technique correctly, and imagining the satisfied feeling we will have once the routine is completed. Having mentally rehearsed our performance successfully many times before actually stepping onto the mat, we are much more likely to do well.

Communicating with Others: Our dojo in Ann Arbor is a place of learning, not a place of perfection. Because we are learning the martial arts, we have to make ourselves vulnerable. Encouragement, therefore, is the order of the day. It is not necessary to speak falsely in order to encourage others, however. The truth is that every student who puts forth effort is worthy of praise, and an alert instructor or fellow student can always spot opportunities for praise.

"Kengaku" means "visual study" in Japanese. It has a two aspects: (1) to spot mistakes made by others in order to avoid them; and (2) to spot the areas where others excel, and to try to emulate them. The second aspect has unlimited potential to make us better!
JMAC would like to thank the many Ann Arbor businesses that support this blog,
both martial arts-related and others, including: Network Services Group,
Art of Japanese Swordsmanship, Shudokan Martial Arts Association,
Budo Mind and Body, Art of Judo, Iaido Dot Com, Lorandos and Associates,
Oxford Companies, Bluestone Realty Advisors, Portfolio Ann Arbor,
Invest Ann Arbor, and the Law Office of Nicklaus Suino.

4 comments:

Massage Ann Arbor said...

I find myself constantly trying to emulate others when it's clear their technique is superior. I don't always know how they accomplish their success, but I try hard to understand it as best I can, if not visually, then by asking lots of questions. Studying martial arts in this way has helped me learn a great deal over the years. Most importantly, it's taught me to think outside the narrow parameters of my own mind by being able to see how others think and solve problems in terms of martial arts.

bobby k said...

An odd thing has happened recently in my new judo path that I think is directly related to the "power of the positive."

In my previous martial arts life I had spent so many years in training the same curriculum, that when unsure of what to do I simply did what "felt right." I learned to have confidence in muscle memory and let my body do what it wanted to do. Thankfully hard work insured that what felt right generally was right. Now, after putting on the white belt of a totally different art, I have found that very little feels right! I'm sure it's just due to being a novice, but I'm very far out of my martial comfort zone. Instead of paying attention to what feels right, my body is picking out what feels wrong (which, coincidentally, is easy to do in judo. Wrong is anything that requires lots of muscling!) As a result I often find that I am aborting throw attempts that might have worked had I had confidence and not held myself back.

Eventually my body will again tell me what "feels right" but for the time being I just have to listen a little harder for it.

Pat said...

I have found that this ideal has helped my studies of Iaido immensly. At the school I used to train in Tae Kwon Do at, we were often instructed "not to do it this way" and although we had very kind and knowledgable instructors, it was soemtimes difficult to acknowledge a problem when the focus was put on what not to do. I have found Jmac to be the opposite, when I have problems with my extnesion, or a pivot, or what have you, I am always instructed on how it should be done, not the fact that I am doing it wrong. This makes it much easier to focus on performing the technique properly when practicing, as I have a clear image of what TO do, not what NOT to do.

Scott C said...

When we demonstrate or test we can become our own worst enemies. When we allow our concerns for not perfoming well manage our moment, we become distracted and unfocused on the moment. We place too much pressure on ourselves when none really exists. We are competing with ourselves when there is no competition. We are asked to choreograph and coordinate a set of waza differently than we are used to in everyday training and this takes us to a higher level abstraction of the individual waza, but the individual waza haven’t changed. But what more appropriate personal test of our achievment is there than testing day? Well, every day in the dojo in preparation for testing is more important. Every action in training should be postive reinforcement of the individual breath and check point of the moment within the waza. When we positively reinforce these actions we develop our capabilities, continuing the journey of mastery, and achieve an “empty-mind” response to the moment. With this competence we demonstrate, test or compete in the moment and are not concerned with anyone else other than our opponent whether real or imaginary. The need for situational awareness is no different when coordinating a demonstration, or testing, than it is every moment in the dojo. Positively reinforcing daily activities in the dojo allow us to perform with little concern for who might be watching and what they might be thinking.