Thursday, March 16, 2017

Inspired Series - What Got You Started?

Inspired Series



What Got You Started?
Do you remember what got you excited about martial arts in the first place?
I remember, many, many years ago in college (1980, to be exact), going to a Chuck Norris movie called The Octagon. I was already involved in karate and judo, but Chuck's ass kicking in that movie really got me fired up about training, and I can still play back some scenes in my head. Watching The Octagon had me training not just in the dojo, but in my apartment and in the park, for several months.
But even before The Octagon, I had seen movies like Seven Samurai, Yojimbo and Hidden Fortress, and I dreamed of going to Japan to learn the ways of Bushido. As you may know, I did eventually go. The reality was very different from the movies, but there's enough budo culture remaining to keep the dream alive. I trained like a madman for the four years I was there!
And, like most martial artists of my generation, I watched every Bruce Lee movie two or three times, and did whatever I could to learn his moves. Bruce was such a charismatic figure that virtually everybody I trained with wanted to be more like him.

Were there movies or demonstrations that inspired you to start training? Are there still people, books, or tournaments that get you running to the dojo for more practice? I'd love to hear what motivates you!

Read more here.

No comments: